Too Large of Flames on Gas Range?

Too Large of Flames on Gas Range?


If the flame on the gas burner above looks a little high, well, it is. This is a classic example of an installer hooking a gas range up to a gas line without checking to see whether the gas supplied is liquid propane (LP) or natural gas. Natural gas has a much lower transmission pressure than liquid propane. As a result, if you connect a natural gas appliance to a higher pressure LP piping system – without converting the appliance by installing LP orifices – it will malfunction and, as you can see from the picture above, cause a serious safety hazard.
Large flame from gas range

The reason natural gas appliances malfunction when connected to LP gas systems is because the natural gas orifices, which are installed in the ranges at the factory, are larger than LP orifices. If you connect a natural gas range to an LP system without converting it, the higher pressure gas flowing through the larger natural gas orifice results in more gas flowing through the burner and an unnecessarily large flame.

When you encounter a situation that you have an extremely large flame and the flame is yellow and not blue, you could contact a service company to send a technician to your home right away before using the range until further notice.

The qualified technician will see if the orifices that are installed are the correct ones. Also, if you are installing a range, you should inform the technician of the type of gas that is supplied to the customer’s home. If you are using LP gas, the technician must remove the factory installed natural gas orifices and install the appropriate LP orifices.

Lake Appliance Repair has the knowledge and experience to handle these types of situations. Call us for an evaluation today.

Categories